Home > Knowledge > Content

Lead-Acid Battery Charging

Mar 13, 2017

Charging Lead Acid

Learn how to optimize charging conditions to extend service life




The neccessary of lead-acid battery chaging

The lead acid battery uses the constant current constant voltage (CC/CV) charge method. A regulated current raises the terminal voltage until the upper charge voltage limit is reached, at which point the current drops due to saturation. The charge time is 12–16 hours and up to 36–48 hours for large stationary batteries. With higher charge currents and multi-stage charge methods, the charge time can be reduced to 8–10 hours; however, without full topping charge. Lead acid is sluggish and cannot be charged as quickly as other battery systems.

Lead acid batteries should be charged in three stages, which are constant-current charge, topping charge and float charge. The constant-current charge applies the bulk of the charge and takes up roughly half of the required charge time; the topping charge continues at a lower charge current and provides saturation, and the float charge compensates for the loss caused by self-discharge.

During the constant-current charge, the battery charges to about 70 percent in 5–8 hours; the remaining 30 percent is filled with the slower topping charge that lasts another 7–10 hours. The topping charge is essential for the well-being of the battery and can be compared to a little rest after a good meal. If continually deprived, the battery will eventually lose the ability to accept a full charge and the performance will decrease due to sulfation. The float charge in the third stage maintains the battery at full charge.



The equipment of Lead-acid battery charging

CR-DC Series full -automatic battery charger is designed for charging the Lead acid battery,and comply with all the demand of battery charging .

The key fuction:

1. The charger automatically performs the charging in strict accordance with the curve of charging

     characteristic of storage battery.

2. Quick charging, high charging recovery rate, no need of watch out, no overcharging incident in an

    extremely long-time charging, and assuring the service life of storage battery.

3. Uniform charging voltage can be adjusted in the range, adapt to the charge characteristic requirement of

     different storage battery and first charging.

4.  Using digital setting charging current, can be adjusted continuously, unaffected by  input alternating

     voltage. During constant current charge. This operation don’t need people to adjust.

5.  It has interflow input low-voltage protection, output over voltage, output current limit, output short 

     circuit, output over current and over temperature protection. Also it has a speed reaction and long life.

6.  It can adjust the charge parameter in service at any times.

7.  LCD color screen with English menu.

8.  Small volume,light weight, easy to move.




Simple Guidelines for Charging Lead Acid Batteries

1.  Charge in a well-ventilated area. Hydrogen gas generated during charging is explosive.

2.  Choose the appropriate charge program for flooded, gel and AGM  batteries. Check manufacturer’s

    specifications on recommended voltage thresholds.

3.  Recharge lead acid batteries after each use to prevent sulfation. Do not store on low charge.

4.  The plates of flooded batteries must always be fully submerged in electrolyte. Fill the battery with

   distilled or de-ionized water to cover the plates if low. Never add electrolyte.

5.  Fill water level to designated level aftercharging. Overfilling when the battery is on low charge can

    cause acid spillage during charging.

6.  The formation of gas bubbles in a flooded lead acid indicates that the battery is reaching full

    state-of-charge. (Hydrogen appears on negative plate and oxygen on positive plate).

7.  Lower the float charge voltage if the ambient temperature is higher than 29°C (85°F).

8.  Do not allow a lead acid to freeze. An empty battery freezes sooner than one that is fully charged.

     Never charge a frozen battery.

9.  Avoid charging at temperatures above 49°C (120°F).


For more information, please leave message to sales@criane.com